If you like almonds, raspberry jam, and coconut, and a shotrbread-like crust, you're bound to enjoy this bar cookie. This recipe was handed on down to me through my family and has been a favorite ever since, being a simple variation of linzer torte.
3/4 cup half butter, half shortening
3/4 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup raspberry jam
3 egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup ground almonds (grind in blender or food processor), toasted if you like
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted if you like
Note: Hazelnuts can be substituted for the almonds.
Heat oven to 350 degrees
1. Cream shortening and butter together with the confectioners sugar, then blend in flour.
2. Press evenly in bottom of ungreased pan 13" x 9" x 2" and bake for about 12 to 15 minutes just until it begins to brown on the edges.
3. Meanwhile, beat egg whites until foamy. Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at at time, beating until stiff and glossy.
4. Fold in the coconut and the ground almonds.
5. When the bottom layer is baked, spread the jam over it while it is still hot.
6. Spread the egg white mixture over the jam and sprinkle with the sliced almonds.
7. Bake 20 minutes longer.
8. Cool and cut into 1 1/2" squares. Store in an airtight container.
I hope you enjoy my recipes. Let me know if you've tried any of them and how they turned out.
Good cooking to you! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!