Curried Chicken Salad
6 cups diced Boiled Chicken Breasts (about 3 pounds)
1 cup diced celery
1 cup seedless green grapes, halved
1 cup cashew pieces
1/2 cup good quality *low-fat mayonnaise
1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup milk
2 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground sea salt
3/4 teaspoon curry powder
1 head butter lettuce
* I like Trader Joe's Deduced Fat Mayo Dressing
1. In large bowl, combine chicken, celery, grapes, and cashews.
2. To make the dressing, combine remaining ingredients in separate bowl.
3. Mix the dressing mixture with the chicken mixture.
4. Chill in refrigerator for about an hour.
5. Serve on lettuce leaves.
Options: serve on half an avocado or half a cantaloupe.
Boiled Chicken Breast and Chicken Broth
Preparation time: About 20 minutes once meat is chilled. You may want to make this the night before making your salad.
6 bone-in chicken breasts (Free-range preferable)
2 quarts water
1 small onion, quartered
2 celery ribs with tops, cut into chunks
2 carrots, unpeeled, cut into chunks
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
2 teaspoons salt
1. Place all the ingredients in a large pot and cover with water.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 to 40 minutes until temperature reaches 180 degrees. Do not overcook.
4. Remove chicken from broth and cool. Remove skin and bones. Chop meat.
5. Strain and reserve broth for soup. May be frozen up to 3 months.
Good cooking to you,