1 cup honey
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons Kirschwasser
1/4 cup fresh greated lemon rind
1/4 cup fresh grated orange peel
1/2 cup finely ground filberts (hazelnuts)
1/2 cup finely ground almonds
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3-1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup soy flour
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. In a large saucepan, slowly heat the honey and sugar together, bringing to a boil.
2. Remove from heat and add the Kirshwasser.
3. Stir in the fruit peels, nuts, and spices.
4. Stin in the flour gradually until the dough cleans the sides of the pan. (If, after 15 minutes, the dough is stil sticky, add a little more flour.)
5. Set the oven at 350 degrees.
6. While the dough is still warm, roll half of it (at a time) out on a lightly floured board to aout 1/4 thickness. Cut into 2 x 2 inch bars with pizza cutter.
7. Transfer cookies to greased baking sheets and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
8. While cookies are baking, make the glaze. In a small bowl, mix together the confectioner's sugar and lemon juice until lumps have dissolved.
9. Once the cookies are baked, transfer to cooling racks and brush with the glaze.
10. Store 3 to 4 weeks in an airtight contianer until soft. If the cookies still need softening after that time, add small pieces of cut apple to the container and store a few more days.
Good cooking to you, and Happy Hollidays!