If you have picky eaters in your family who are not sure they like zucchini, the familiar taco ingredients are likely to win them over.
4 medium or one humongous zucchini
1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
1 (1 oz.) packet taco seasoning, plus water
1 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese
Chopped green onion
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and spray a 9 x 16 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Trim the ends off zucchini and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp, putting it aside, and leaving 1/2 inch shells.
3. Arrange the zucchini halves in the baking dish, cut side down. Add a little water to the bottom of the pan and bake for ten minutes in the oven.
4. While the zucchini is baking, chop the zucchini pulp.
5. Add the ground meat to a large skillet. Cook over medium heat, breaking the meat apart. Cook for 7-9 minutes until it is no longer pink. Drain any excess grease.
6. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the taco seasonings, the packet's recommended water, and the chopped pulp. Heat through.
7. Remove the zucchini from the oven and turn the boats cut side up. (You may want to use tongs, as the zucchini will be hot.)
Stuff the zucchini with the meat mixture, dividing it equally, and sprinkle each with the cheese.
8. Cover the bottom of the dish with a little more water, place in the oven and bake uncovered about 20 minutes until the zucchini is tender. (Not mushy)
9. Remove from the oven, place each boat on a plate, and let diners choose their own toppings.
Good cooking to you,