Note: I haven't been able to find straight cranberry juice for a while, frozen or otherwise, so last year I substituted pomegranate juice and it was just as good. If you like, you can also use pomegranate seeds instead of the cranberries. In that case, we'll call it Pom-Apple Spinach Salad.
1/2 cup frozen cranberry juice (no water added)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup dried cranberries
*4 cups chopped apple (with skin)
8 cups baby spinach
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1-1/2 cups Spiced Pecans (see below)
* Consider using both red and green apples when serving this salad at Christmastime.
1. Whisk together the juice, olive oil, vinegar, and sea salt in a small bowl.
2. Place apples and cranberries in a 2-quart shallow glass dish.
3. Pour cranberry juice mixture over apple mixture.
4. Refrigerate, covered at least 3 hours or up to 12 hours. Sir occasionally.
5. When ready to serve, toss spinach and celery in a serving bowl.
6. Stir in the apple mixture and top with the Spiced Pecans.
Note: If mixture has been refrigerated several hours, allow to stand at room temperature about 15 minutes for olive oil to liquefy. Stir before using.
Servings: 8 Serving size: 1/4 cup Preparation time: 15 minutes Baking time: 12-15 minutes
1/3 cup honey
1 Tablespoon water
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
*2 cups unsalted pecans
1 Tablespoon sugar
*Walnuts can be substituted for the pecans.
Wine Basted Turkey
Cornbread, Yam, and Apple Stuffing
Easy Cheesy Brussels Sprouts
Cran-Apple Spinach Salad
Pumpkin Spice Scones
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine honey, water, pumpkin pie spice, and sea salt in a medium bowl. (Set sugar aside.) Stir in pecans until coated with honey mixture.
3. Using a slotted spoon, place pecans in a single layer on the baking sheet.
4. Sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, turning halfway through baking time. Watch closely that they don't burn.
6. Cool slightly on baking sheet. Remove and cool completely.
7. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Note: I find these as irresistible as candy.
Good cooking to you, and Happy Thanksgiving!