I planned to take the cake to a church potluck today, but knew I was going to be busy yesterday, so I made the cake on Sunday and froze it. Last night I left it out to defrost and this morning, spread on the cream cheese frosting It was a big hit, and we came home with only two pieces, one to photograph in the garden with zucchini leaves in the background.
If you like carrot cake, you will like this cake too, as they share the same spices. In fact, you can substitute grated carrots for the zucchini.
Note: My pan was slightly larger than the one called for, so the cake is not as thick as your own results may be.
Ingredients for the Cake
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
(I used regular whole wheat flour.
You can also use white flour)
1-1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup sweetened flake coconut
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 pinch ginger
3 tablespoons canola oil (I used grapeseed oil)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini
1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple in Juice. (Drain and save the juice.)
Ingredients for the Frosting
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese (regular or low-fat)
2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla etract
Splash of milk or pineapple juice if necessary
Chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Preheat oven for 350°
1. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup. Combine flours, sugar, coconut, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl and stir well.
2. Combine oil, eggs, and vanilla in a separate bowl and stir well. Add the zucchini, and pineapple.
3. Stir the egg mixture thoroughly into the flour mixture. If it seems dry, add a little of the pineapple juice.
4. Spray a 13 x 9-inch pan with cooking spray, and spoon in the batter. Level by gently shaking the pan. Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs and cake is pulling away from sides of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
5. To prepare the frosting, combine the butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla just until smooth. If it seems to thick, beat in a splash of the pineapple juice or milk.
6. Spread on top of the cooled cake.
Note: If your zucchini are huge, scrape the seeds out of the center before you shred it so it's not too watery.
Good cooking to you,