Many Waldorfs are heavy on the mayonnaise, but as I often do, I make a dressing of equal parts mayo and plain yogurt, adding a splash of lemon juice to this one. This gives the salad a nice refreshing flavor. The most important aspect of this dish, however, is choosing crisp apples. I admit that Washington apples are mighty good too. If you like, choose both red and green or yellow apples to make this even more visually interesting.
2 1/2 cups apple, chopped with skin
1/4 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
(Can substitute walnuts)
*2 tablespoon plain yogurt'
**2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
* Greek yogurt can be used with added milk
**I use a light mayo from Trader Joe's.
1. Mix together the yogurt, mayonnaise, and lemon juice to make the dressing. Add a splash of milk if it seems too thick.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.
3. Add the dressings and mix well with the apple mixture.
4. Turn into a serving bowl and lightly sprinkle on cinnamon and coriander. Chill until serving time.