The secret to making a good strawberry pie is in the glaze. I think I've tried every glaze recipe out there, and I've settled on a retro one that's easy and always garners raves, whether I'm bringing it to a potluck or welcoming a new neighbor with one. And talk about easy ... I use a store-bought crust. Now that's summer-easy cooking.
Servings: 8 Preparation Time: 30 minutes Serving time: 2-3 hrs
3 pints fresh hulled strawberries
1 frozen pie crust
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup water
3 tablespoons strawberry Jell-O
1. Bake pie crust according to package directions and cool
2. Combine sugar, cornstarch, and water in a pan and cook over low heat until thick, stirring often.
3. Stir in Jell-O and cool to room temperature.
4. Wash and hull berries. *Place half in bottom of pie crust. Pour half of the cooled Jell-o glaze over them.
5. Place remaining berries on top and pour remaining glaze over them, coating all the berries.
6. Refrigerate and serve with whipping cream once the glaze is set.
*Note: If the berries are very large, slice some in half and place in the bottom of the pan.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Let me know if you've tried it and how it turns out.
Good cooking to you,