Servings: 8 Serving size: 1 slice
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Assembly time after cooling: 15 minutes
I'm not sure why I think of this cake as a spring dish, when it's really appropriate any time of year. For whatever reason, I got in the habit of making this Banana Yogurt cake for my mom as a Mother's Day treat. Whatever occasion, you'll find it an easy, moist cake to make and one that is visually impressive with whipping cream and bananas on top and between the layers.
2 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
2 medium ripened bananas
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 ounces plain yogurt
1/2 cup whipping cream
1. *Prepare 2 cake pans, buttering the bottom of each and sprinkling a little flour on top. Shake until all the butter is covered and pour off any excess flour.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a medium bowl.
3. rack eggs into a medium bowl and whip with a fork.
4. Add the bananas and soft butter and mash together.
5. Mix in sugar, yogurt, and vanilla.
6. Stir these wet ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl. Mix just until all the ingredients are wet.
7. Pour equal amount of this batter into the two cake pans.
8. Bake in preheated oven at 300 degrees for about 35 to 40 minutes until tips are beginning to turn brown. Insert a toothpick to test. It will come out clean when done.
Note: the cakes should be cool before serving. You may even want to chill them in the fridge first.
9. When ready to serve, whip the cream with a beater until soft peaks form, then slowly add sugar to taste, keeping the peaks. To test the readiness of the cream, chew a bit of it. It's ready when you can no longer feel the sugar with your teeth.
10. Remove the cakes from the pans. Place one of the cakes on an attractive serving plate and cover with some of the whipping cream and slices of half of the not-so-ripe banana. Place the remaining cake on top and repeat this process with the remaining cream and bananas. Serve immediately.
Good cooking to you,