Speaking of crust, I've seen several recipe variations, but being pressed for time, I've chosen frozen pie crust. I simply thaw it, unroll it, and fold it over the filling. Easier than pie, if you get my humor. The filling can be just about any fruit you have on hand. I love how the blueberries lend color to this pear and apple rendition.
Servings: 6 Prep: 25 minutes Bake: 40-45 minutes
Pre-made refrigerated rolled pie crust
About 1-1/2 pounds of fruit like:
2 large apples, *peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium pear, *peeled and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter (optional)
*Peeling is an option.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Unroll pie crust and place in the bottom of a 9" pie pan with the sides hanging over the edge.
2. In a large bowl, combine the prepared fruit.
3. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and spices.
4. Pour in the lemon juice while stirring. Stir until smooth. 5. Stir in the sugar.
6. Add to the fruit mixture and stir gently to coat. Spoon this mixture over the pie crust.
7. Fold the edges of the pie crust inward, leaving the center uncovered.
8. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling.
9. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving. If desired, top with the butter while cooling .
10. Serve warm with whipping cream or ice cream.
Good cooking to you,